Mon-Fri, July 17-28
Somerville High School
Every day, we play fun dance tunes and parade around the neighborhood. We never know where we might end up — a park, a bookstore, an escalator or a frozen food aisle? — but wherever we go, friendly fans are sure to follow.
We’ll play improvisational games and try our hand at group composition, watch videos of other street bands in performance, design our band’s look and style, and have break out sectional rehearsals to hone ear training and instrumental technique.
- to have fun the street band way, playing loud, lively music that gets people smiling and moving
- to be playful and spontaneous when playing your instrument, and how to listen for, and stay in, the groove while parading
- some basic street band musical forms like dance beats, blues progressions, call and response, etc.
- the history and culture of street bands around the world, their music and their model of shared leadership, improvisation and musical spectacle
- Dynamite! by BTS
- Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson
- Havana by Camila Cabello
- Ghostbusters Theme by Ray Parker, Jr.
- Rosalie Norris is a School of HONK mentor who has served on the performing arts faculty in Boston Public Schools and The Fenn School, and is currently teaching in Melrose Public Schools.
- Shaunalynn Duffy is a founding mentor and program developer at School of HONK, and co-founder of Powderhouse Studios.
- Kevin Leppmann is executive director of the School of HONK, a lifelong musician and educator, and a founding member of Somerville’s annual HONK! Festival.
- Several School of HONK mentors and other musician volunteers will also participate in our summer school, with extensive experience both in music education and street performance.
Summer HONK is open to anyone, 10 years and older, with at least one year’s experience playing their instrument (woodwind, brass, or percussion). Those with less experience will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Families are encouraged to apply.
Cost is $125/wk; family discounts and some scholarships may be available for students who need them. Bring checks — made payable to School of HONK — to the first session, on Monday, July 17.
Click here to complete registration form.
If you have any questions, please drop us a line at email@example.com.
(Photos by Leonardo March and Maggie McClellan)